Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Contact at the Doctor's Office

It's a cold morning, not yet light outside, and I'm sitting here with Heather's colorful lap blanket (that I snatched off the back of our couch) around my legs feeling content with my part of last night’s FHE. I made 30 sugar cookie hearts with pink (sprinkles of strawberry Kool-ade) frosting that finally turned out good when I used parchment paper to bake them on. Jack's part was to lead them in an activity after the lesson (they've been playing cards each time so far) and he made something we'd been told about at the Couple's Conference. You stand in a circle and each person holds a 5 ft. (or so) piece of PVC pipe in front of them vertically on the floor. Someone says LEFT and they must let go of their pipe and grab the one to the left of them, and if RIGHT is called they must let go and grab the one to their right. It was fun and kinda competitive and a bit dicey when poles went flying at times, but we had 12 there, with an AMI (friend of the Church) and the Elders teaching him, plus 2 Elders who fly home this Thursday and wanted to say good-bye, so it was a lively group. What a different mission it is this time; I almost feel like we're party planners and our goal is' a good time was had by all'! Just kidding, I think! :)

Last week we had an experience on the day of our scheduled 'medical exam' to see if we were fit to remain in France. In my morning prayer I was prompted to pray specifically to have someone put in our path who needs the gospel in their life. I was a bit nervous about dealing with French officialdom, so I got myself ready carefully so as to be at my best. The Zone leaders paid for our stamps and brought them to us...it costs the Mission $340 Euros each to keep us here for a year, and the money was due that day. Our little French GPS, Mappy, got us to our destination 10 minutes early for our 1:30 appointment, but we had to walk around the block to the back entrance in the -3 degree weather, and it was cold! Several people were milling around the locked doors on which a sign proclaimed their 'working hours' were from 2 to 5 PM. What? I was more upset at that sign than Jack was - I was getting in there at 1:30 for my 'appointment' or else! Some high-heeled worker unlocked the doors right on time and we were the second ones inside. She had us line up, then I handed her the papers she needed, and was directed down a hall to where a woman technician awaited me. She spoke slowly so I could understand that a chest x-ray would be taken. She led me into a small room and locked the door we'd just entered, then directed me to remove all my upper clothing. When she saw my garment top she nodded that it was OK to wear, then she positioned me in front of an ancient looking light panel and I heard a loud rattle and hummm and that was it. I'm X-RAYED...hope I live through it!

Within a minute or so Jack followed me and went through the same adventure, 'You can keep your T-shirt on', she told him. He came out still buttoning up his shirt and tying his tie and stood while a small man sat next to me on my left. He was holding a Peruvian passport in his hands and so Jack asked if he was from Peru? Startled, the man said, 'How did you know that?’, then he saw what he was holding and said, 'Oh!’ "That was easy" said Jack, and they laughed. We started to talk to him, and he knew some English as well as fairly good French, and is some kind of engineer here to study for 2 years before returning home. He could be in his late 20's and is recently married to a woman from Peru also who is waiting for him there. He's from Lima, where it's nice and warm and he longs to go back. We told him who and what we are and he was very interested because he's been searching for "a community of believers" to associate with to counter the spiritual indifference of the people he's met here in France so far. Wow! We invited him to come to church on Sunday and he said he'd love to and took the address and our names and phone number. When he heard that there were English classes held there also he became even more excited and that sealed the deal. The last of our 'exam' was by a nurse who took my height and weight and had me read an eye chart - I passed, I think. Jack followed me and then we were called individually in to see the head honcho...La Doctor. She looked at me over her black rimmed glasses and in her no-nonsense style asked about my 'sante', was it good? 'Yes, my health is good.' I told her. 'Do you smoke?' No. 'Do you take any pills, medicine?' No. She looked at my poster sized chest x-ray and didn't seem alarmed by anything, so she signed me off and stamped my papers and had me send my husband in. That was it…we got our passports stamped with the Cart-de-se-jour right inside instead of a simple card to carry like last time, and were sent on our way. We left there on Cloud-9 after saying good-bye to our Peruvian friend, Denis. Not only did we pass our medical exam to stay in France, but Heavenly Father answered BOTH our prayers, because Jack also asked that someone be placed in our path today in our prayer before we left home. We are very excited to see what will happen next! That's all for now. love ya, Mom


No comments: