Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Life in France

Life in France has slowed down to a crawl. The summer months of July and August are when the locals disappear and leave things to the tourists. People are flocking to the Charente (our area which is named after the river here) mainly because it is a beautiful grape growing area, and there are many castles and chateau’s to see. We are also on the way to many famous sites, such as Lourdes, and others, plus the Airbus factory in Toulouse which I hear is a great tour. I always thought that shutters would be thrown open wide in the hot months, but nope, more often than not they are closed up tight to keep things cool and dark inside the house. Also, everything but the very largest stores close down from noon until two o’clock for lunch, so you have to plan ahead or you are out of luck with anything urgent.

Our recepisse’s (temporary permission to reside in France) will be out of date again in about a week and a half. So, we went to see why we haven’t received our permanent Carte de SeJour (well, permanent for a year, that is). The nice lady in the records office in St. Yrieix couldn’t understand why the delay either, so she called the head office in Angouleme. “Why, we sent that months ago!” Hmmmm. So our lady stayed ladylike and said that they had been having trouble with the mail in St. Yrieix, and would she please expedite that for us? Elle adit, oui (She said, yes). Hopefully we will get somewhere this time. We will have to go on a 2 hour drive for a Doctor’s examination as part of the process; that will be interesting.

It is hard on missionary work with people disappearing left and right. The Elder’s are getting rattayed (my spelling for appointments not kept) three out of four times, and people just leave and forget to call, so they get to the house, and there’s no one home. A perfect example of this is with our golden contact, Mme. Caillon. She was eating the Book of Mormon in great handfuls, and felt that it was true. She asked many questions and was satisfied with the answers, and wanted to hear more. She said, "The next time you come, I want you to tell me what I have to do to be baptized." What better words could a missionary want to hear? Then she had eye trouble, so we missed our meeting; then we came and saw a note pinned to her door (never a good sign said one of the Elders), and it was true. She had gone on vacation, and would see us again Sept. 8. That’s a long time (for us) to worry and fret about whether she will keep the spirit that she had been feeling so strongly. Then, there is Jean de Dieu (yes, his name is John of God), and he has been a joy to teach. He is a young African man, with a kind and gentle way about him, but his job keeps him on the road, either near or far, which makes him hard to catch. We go with the Elders because he asked that we come too. I feel bad that he comes home tired, but he welcomes us in, and treats us like royalty. He really liked the "First Vision" DVD, and is reading in the Book of Mormon, and knows that he is missing something in his life. We had a great discussion with him, and he gave a meaningful and tender prayer, and wanted us to come back soon. We set another appointment for three nights later, and when we knocked at the door, the Elder’s cell phone rang and it was him; he had been delayed and couldn’t get back in time. That was three weeks ago now, and no word since; it’s like he has vanished into thin air. We’ll keep trying, but life and people have us shaking our heads in wonderment sometimes.

The one French custom that I thought was kinda cute at first, the air kissing of your cheeks, (smack, first the one, then, smack, the other) is beginning to wear on me now. I enjoy a nice handshake, and a hug from a good friend, or someone you haven’t seen for awhile is great (and always from family!). But, now I get kisses from all the sisters every Sunday, and at every greeting at someone’s home, or at Family Home Evening, from people I’ve known for months, or perfect strangers, even from ladies I’m not so sure like me very much, every time we see them!! It’s nuts, and I wish they’d quit it! Our retiring mission president’s wife took me aside, and whispered that it was the ONE thing she would not miss when they returned to their home in Virginia, USA. One lady at church grabs my arms and kisses me with such gusto and loud smacks, that it leaves me with a ringing in my ears. With Sister Maitre, two won’t do, it’s got to be four (that means you are in, and are considered family!); and it was funny, we clashed glasses so badly at first, that she now always whips hers off with a big grin on her face. Men do get in on the act too, somewhat, and I got a big surprise when the second time I met Ives, a friend of Veronique’s, (the newly divorced member we are trying to help), he kissed my cheeks (I didn’t see it coming, at all) four times with day old stubble that had me wincing in pain. I had given him my carrot cake recipe, and so I now have a new friend for life! Sometimes I take the low road, and duck and run for cover; but I hate being a chicken, so I mostly just grin and bear it, after all, it’s part of the experience of being in France.

Love you lots, Sister Mom, Joanne, Grandma

No comments: